Add Some BAM To Your Brunch With This Berry French Toast Bake
Take your breakfast or brunch from blah to bam with this amazingly delicious Berry French Toast Bake! What I love most about this Berry French Toast Bake recipe is that you can prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven to let it bake while you prepare the rest of the meal.
You can top it with syrup, vanilla sauce or eat it straight out the oven like I do! I’ve included the recipe for the vanilla sauce just in case you want to try it.
Berry French Toast Bake
- 1 16 oz long French baguette cut into cubes
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sliced strawberries fresh or frozen
Vanilla Sauce (prepare 10 minutes before French toast comes out of the oven)
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Add the cubed french bread, strawberries and blueberries to a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the mixture over the bread making sure to cover all of the bread. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to lightly press the bread to make sure it is moistened.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter until the pieces are the size of peas. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the french toast and sprinkle the flour mixture over the bread.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and you can see that the bread at the bottom the dish has browned (if baked in a clear glass dish).
- Top with vanilla sauce or syrup and fresh berries and serve while warm.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to a small saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Move saucepan to stovetop with medium heat.
- Add in vanilla flavor and butter.
- Cook until thickened.
- Spoon over french toast and serve immediately.