White Chicken Chili
When the weather cools down and the cravings for warm, hearty meals kick in, it’s time to pull out the slow cooker. This white chicken chili recipe is easy to make and a perfect comfort food for cozy nights in or family gatherings. Just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker, and the results are a rich, creamy blend of tender chicken and white beans balanced with the mild heat from the green chilies and spices. It’s like a hug in a bowl!
Chicken Chili Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon McCormick garlic onion + black pepper sea salt blend (substitute with ground pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 can 4-ounce can mild chopped green chiles
- 1 can northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Scallions for garnish (optional)
- Add olive oil and butter to a pan along with the onions, garlic and ¼ teaspoon of cumin. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of flour and stir constantly for about 4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth and bring to a low simmer. Once it thickens, turn off and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the oregano, onion powder, chili powder, adobo, Lawry’s, McCormick, cayenne pepper and the rest of the cumin.
- Clean chicken breast and add to the slow cooker. Sprinkle the seasonings on both sides of the chicken.
- Add the onion mixture, beans, green chiles, corn, and remaining chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir ingredients together and cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 5 hours.
- When the chili is ready, turn off the slow cooker. Remove the chicken breast and transfer to a clean cutting board. Use a fork to shred the chicken.
- Use a cup to scoop out about 1 cup of the chili into a blender and blend into a puree.
- Add the shredded chicken and puree back into the slow cooker. Mix in a cup of shredded cheese and more seasoning if needed.
- When you are ready to serve, ladle the chili in a bowl, top with cheese, chopped scallions, and any other toppings you enjoy!