Apple Cranberry Crisp
Nothing says fall more than an afternoon of apple picking. And after a trip to our local orchard, I have a bunch of apples that need to be turned into recipes. First up is this apple cranberry crisp! Juicy apples, tart cranberries, a touch of cinnamon, and a buttery oat topping come together to make this apple cranberry crisp the perfect fall dessert.
Best apples for baking
While they are all delicious, when it comes to baking, all apples are not created equal. The best baking apples aren’t too tart and have the perfect amount of sweetness. And most importantly, they don’t turn to mush during the cooking process. Here are a few of the best apples for baking.
Gala apples are crisp and sweet with a mild flavor. Their crisp texture keeps them from getting too soft in the oven.
These are my go-to apples for baking. Though they are pretty tart, their flavor really pops when you add spices like cinnamon or pair with sweeter apples like Honeycrisp.
Honeycrisp apples maintain a nice firm shape and the texture and sweetness make them perfect for baking.
Golden Delicious apples are sweet, with a rich, mellow flavor, and best if you want a softer, sweeter result.
For this recipe, I used Gala apples because that’s what was available for picking at the orchard. But any of the apples above will work in this recipe. You can also mix a variety of apples to get the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Choosing the best apples
- When picking apples, it’s best to choose ones in season so you know they are fresh, crisp, and juicy.
- Look for apples with no bruises, mushy spots, or bug holes.
- Apples that are ripe and fresh will have a pleasant apple aroma.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
- 1 ½ lbs apples peeled and sliced (about 5 -6 medium-sized apples)
- 1 ½ cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine apples, cranberries, sugar, and flour in a large bowl.
- Pour the filling into a greased baking dish.
- Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the topping has browned.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy this apple cranberry crisp during Thanksgiving, Christmas or just because!