Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffin Recipe
My daughter has fallen in love with blueberry muffins and has been bugging me to make some for weeks. She’s not a fan of sugar and the problem with most muffins is that they usually taste like cake. So I came up with a healthy blueberry lemon muffin recipe that is super moist with just the right of sweetness!
My secret ingredients—agave and greek yogurt! The agave adds a hint of sweet while the yogurt makes the muffins nice and moist. I added the lemon because I love the tart/sweet combination of blueberries and lemons. The end result is a delicious guilt-free muffin you can enjoy for breakfast or a snack!
HEALTHY BLUEBERRY LEMON MUFFIN RECIPE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour you can use another cup of all-purpose flour if you don't have wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup agave or coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest about 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about 1/2 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- dash nutmeg
- dash cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers or spray each muffin cup with non-stick cooking spray.
- Rinse blueberries and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, agave (or sugar) and yogurt. Add in lemon juice. Mix until mixture is smooth.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture, starting and ending with the the flour mixture. Stir just until ingredients are combined. Gently fold in blueberries and lemon zest. The batter will be thick.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full. Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes until top is firm or a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
Now all you need is a hot cup of coffee to go with these healthy blueberry lemon muffins. Enjoy!