Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
Pasta is always my go to dish when I’m out of ideas or need to make something fast for dinner. This Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe is a dish that I started making for my daughter when she was a baby. It’s cheesy, creamy and ready in less than 30 minutes!
I make it 2 ways…
I mix in 2 cups of chopped broccoli cooked (you can also used mixed vegetables, peas, or green beans) or I serve it with the veggies on the side. Either way, your family will love it!
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb of ground turkey or ground beef
- 2 cups of whole wheat or regular macaroni elbow or rotini pasta
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. I use extra sharp, sharp , mild or a combination
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to package in a large pot.
- While pasta is boiling, in another pot steam vegetables until tender and set aside.
- Add the meat to a skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until brown. Drain the meat and set aside.
- Drain pasta, then transfer back into the pot it was cooked in.
- Slowly add butter, milk, ground meat and cheese to the pot and stir on low heat.
- Once the cheese starts to melt, fold in the vegetables if you decide to add them.
- Mix well and serve.