Your teen may be book smart, but are they street smart? In this episode we discuss what your teen needs to know about personal safety and the skills they need to thrive in any situation.
In this episode we discuss…
- Why knowing how to read people is one of the most important skills you can have
- How to trust your instincts
- Why you need to be careful about how you help people
- How to public transportation safely
- Why it’s important to have a sense of direction
- How to wear headphones safely in public
- Why you should spend time with people from other cultures and backgrounds
- Why you should always share your location when you are out alone
- How to protect your drink in public
- Why you should always carry cash
- Why you need to keep your phone charged
- Keeping at least ½ tank of gas in your car at all times
- Gas station safety
- Why you should not leave valuables in your car
- The best place to park in a parking lot
- The benefits of taking self-defense classes
- Other items and body parts that can be used as weapons during an attack
How street smart is your teen? If you’re not really sure, here’s an online quiz that might help you find the answer.
Developing streets smarts come down to situational awareness, confidence, and instincts. Sharing these tips will give your teens the confidence to be own their own and give you the reassurance that they’ll be ok.